
We left Siena to go to San Gimignano where we had a few hours to look at the local shops, painting places, and take pictures of the beautiful scenery. It was absolutely gorgeous because it was green, lush, and looked idealistic. Just like we had imagined Italy being. The best part was that the gelato place we ate at was the World Champion Gelato for 06-07 and 08-09. So fantastic. I tried the limoncello, amaredo chocolate (a chocolate specific to Tuscany), and sour cherry. Shannon got one that was wine...and it really did taste like wine in ice cream form, which was VERY strange. I was happy with my choices.
After running around the town we sat in a shaded area and watched people arriving for a wedding. We tried to see the bride, but she came after we had to leave. We got back to the hotel for another four course meal (but we were prepped for it this time). The first dish was my favorite. It was a pasta cheese dish that was the most amazing food my mouth has ever tasting (and I really don't think I'm being dramatic). It had cheese baked on the top of all the pasta like a lasagna and mixed with the pasta was cheese and meat and...man, it was delicious. The rest of the meal was a disappointment for me, but I was happy with the pasta. Our dessert was disgusting. I don't think anyone ate it. It was flan and it tasted like alcohol...we weren't happy with it. We slept really well that night as well.
Sunday morning we had breakfast and checked out of the hotel and had guided tours for a few smaller towns before arriving in Tenuta Caparzo for our wine and food tasting. The food we tasted were bruschetta, fruits, different spreads on bread, cheese (the best cheese EVER), and other small things. We tried three red wines and a dessert wine. I really liked all but the dessert wine, but so far I've only had two dessert wines and can barely take a second tiny sip. Yikes. Overall, I liked this wine tasting better than the one at school, but we had food at this one...maybe that's why. After the tasting, we got a tour of the wine cellar, then headed back to Rome. After getting back we made dinner and attempted to watch a movie, but we were all too tired.
Mom, this picture of sunflowers is for you. If I were a millionaire, you would have this sent to you. Or the poppies ones. I took illegal pictures of both, though. So that is my love for you...in illegal activities? Just don't think about it that way I guess.
Today we went to class at the University for once, since it was our make up for missing the class trip to Pompeii (it was Friday when we were in Tuscany), so class was only an hour and a half. After that, we checked our mail and Janet (Jenna's mom) had sent all of us cards! It was very exciting to see something in the mail boxes (all of them are always empty!). We got back to our neighborhood, went to the grocery store, and had lunch. Our afternoon wasn't very productive, but we uploaded pictures and I talked to my best friend (Katy, she lives in MI) for almost two hours...yikes! But totally worth it.
Tonight we made a roomie dinner of lemon chicken and rice, which was great. Shannon and Priya made it for us and it was quite delightful. We plan on playing games and having Nutella tonight and tomorrow is Tuesday...which means...BEACH TUESDAY! So good.
I hope that these pictures have made up for the other few posts that were just boring text.
Hope your weekend was as fun as ours was!
**EDIT**
I forgot to mention why the title is "Watch Your Feet" so, get ready.
We were in Siena, on our walking tour, when all of the sudden we hear this thud noise followed by a loud yell and the f word. We turn around just in time to see Matt (Michigan Matt...there are two) with this horrid angry/pain look on his face and then he sits down in the street. A car just ran over his foot. I thought the thud was his foot breaking, but it turns out that the side mirror hit him, so it folded into the car. But his foot still had been run over. Luckily, the Italian people were nice, the tour guide and the API lady were very helpful by translating and getting ice and he basically just sat on the side of the street for a while for the shock to wear off. His food ended up being fine, but it was crazy. He wasn't even out in the middle of the street, either. So...when you're in Italy you have to watch your feet. We definitely learned that our first week because of crazy vespas and cars and buses that really don't care if you have the right of way in a pedestrian crosswalk. I guess that is even more true when you are in a tiny cobble stone street, too.
Yikes.
5 comments:
Thoughts:
Of course your favorite meal ever is just foofy macaroni and cheese.
That pottery with the flowers? Ugly.
You girls look like Jedi knights with your hooded robes.
"Gelato" is so the new "awesome."
My "Word verification" is "hfdkstd." That is not a word. Google is confused.
I had to agree with Alayna--the macaroni and cheese reference--caught that one right away!
I suppose I should reprimand you for taking illegal pictures, but since you did it out of love for me, I will let it go this time. (Just limit it at photography of folage.)
What a wonderful experience for all of you. No one brings us hooded towels robes when we go to the pool. I guess the last time you had a hooded robe was when I would wrap you up after your bath. That, of course, was when I could still pick you up--some 19 years ago. I guess it was worth the wait!
hahah i agree with your sister about the mac and cheese! I was like of course Laura loved it so much haha. I'm sure it beats our character kraft mac and cheese though! Tuscany sounds just okay.whatever....okay so it sounds amazing! ha. Also, the gelatto sounds delicious! I can't believe that guy had his foot run over?! How crazy/sad for him.
--Alicia
The wine tasting sounds so fun I've never been and the spa sounded heavenly.
daaang girls, it seems like you're living the life!
i'm often reminded of why people want to study abroad... free fluffy robes, decadent ice cream and amazing architecture.
oh and i guess the scenery isn't so bad either.
i'm glad to hear that you're all doing well and enjoying yourselves.
Presently, your life is amazing. I'm so happy for you!
Remember that one first-day-of-school when we gathered at your house and ate mac and cheese? I miss high school times.
xoxo- Chelra
Post a Comment