Highlights from today: a big nap, a great dinner, awesome people from all over the country in our group, and seeing Italians watch their favorite: football (aka soccer for the USA). So great.
Our dinner was with all the people from our group and we had awesome fried food for our appetizers (including fried mashed potatoes), a great cheesy pasta entree, and a donut-y dessert with nutella on top! We practiced what little Italian we know with our waiter (we know how to say thank you and that's pretty much it) and realized that we are not the only ones who don't know any Italian-which is a huge relief.
We were in a courtyard/plaza area with a bunch of bars and restaurants when we watched the football game tonight and it was really interesting. Lots of different people walking around trying to find a TV to watch the game. We met a guy from KU who gave us some tips on what to do, so that was great. And the catcalls have already begun.
It's hard for us to believe that it is real. We keep talking about how it seems fake and like a theme park, almost, with how incredible buildings are.
At the moment, we are in a hotel (a really really nice one) and will be staying here until Wednesday when we move into our apartment. I especially love it because we have a gelato shop right across the alley. It's in the heart of the city and very close to the Vatican (which we will see on Tuesday).
I guess that's all for now. We've got to get some rest for a big walking tour day tomorrow. It's a bit after 11PM here, making the time difference 7 hours ahead from KS.
Hope you all are doing well! We sure are. The weather is hot and humid, just like home.
Leave some comments!
P.S. Katie and Allison - We walked past the ruins with the cats twice today. We ate right across the street from it at Rosso...something. It means red tomato in Italian. We didn't look at the ruins up close yet, but it's definitely the one with cats!
5 comments:
Hey Krista, Laura and Jenna!
I hope that you have a fabulous time in Rome!! Enjoy your time there and I will keep updated on your site to see what your up too!
Miss you girls!
See you when you get back and before we know it, it will be rush!
Love,
Rachael
Hi Girls! Glad to hear you arrived safe. This is Laura's friend Alicia so I'll probably be on her a lot checking in on her and of course you guys ha! Sounds amazing so far, I'm very jealous! But I'm happy that a fellow KU kid was helpful!
GELATO!!!
oh fantastic.
cia bella! (i hear you'll be sick of it by the time you come home).
i just realized that if it's seven hours ahead, you might be reading this very very soon when you wake up and i'll be heading to bed! crazy.
i can only imagine how you met the ku boy.
my thoughts: 1-wearing k-state/usa attire. 2-you just look american. 3-you looked like a group of lost americans. ...or MAYBE, juuuust maybe, he heard you speaking english and maybe something about worlds or fun or the humid kansas weather. i then also wonder if he was cute. hmmmm. very interested to hear more about italy!!!
miss you all. erica.
aww, fun! augh, get used to the catcalls though. don't get me started...anyways, sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun. any kids from mi?!?! lots of love ;)
Hey Ladies, I am so glad I can read the blog and know the great things you are doing. All I can say is keep clear of crazy Itailian guys!!! Make sure you all take your time at the Vatican because there is so much to see. Laura I really wanted to sing you happy birthday but you were on line with your family. Love you all, Gina
Post a Comment